Monday, February 4, 2008

The Week In Games

  1. Rez HD: As awesome as I remember it, but with better graphics and sound. A/100 - if you've never played this, you absolutely must. For $10, it's a steal.
  2. Need for Speed: ProStreet: I don't really know why I'm playing this. Forza 2 is, by many measures, a better game, with a better handling model. Still, for some reason, I've been playing this more than Forza. C/80
  3. Rock Band: Got some drumming in today, but also played a bit with the Oasis Pack, which is definitely worth picking up if you like the game, and have any inclination toward the band. Rock Band: A/100, Oasis Pack ?/90
  4. No More Heroes: Played a bit more of this. The action and style remain as engaging as ever, but I read a review where the reviewer basically summed it up - the game is split into two parts - action and "open world." The action is great, the open world is a failure in every way that matters. Still a really enjoyable game, but some really boneheaded design decisions do make the game more frustrating than it needs to be. A/80
  5. Call of Duty 4 Multiplayer: Hit up a bit of this one night with some coworkers and a friend from way back. Really, really fun with a really unique and addictive reward structure. One of the best multiplayer games I've played in ages. B/95

Not a bad week of gaming. I'm hoping to pick up Burnout: Paradise at some point in the relatively near future, and I'm curious to see the reviews of Assassin's Creed: Altair's Chronicles for the DS. If the reviews are good, I'll almost certainly pick it up, but I haven't heard much about it, so my hopes aren't way up. Culdcept SAGA is also coming out, and it's a series I've always heard a lot about, but have never played. Maybe worth checking out? Who knows. It'll probably be one of those games that disappears instantly and is hard to find for a reasonable price, or is $19.99 within a month.